terça-feira, 4 de agosto de 2009

Choices


In most cases we do our choices in the dark, although it seems that we can see everything clearly. We try to hit the target. We get as much information as possible and work hard to be straight and focused, but we really don't know what is going to happen. Life is unpredictable.

Since I was a teenager I love drawing, painting and writing. Sure, my way would be in one of these fields. That is why I didn't know what to choose when it was time to go to the college. But I had to choose, then I decided to study journalism first. But when I was in the third year, I got pregnant and left the college when my baby was born. Later, I could go back and finish it, but I was so involved with the miniatures that I didn't. Well, you know, there was no time to keep going to the college while I was working with the miniatures.

During those years my life was just painting and painting. The "writing" thing didn't make sense anymore! It sounded as I was mistaken when I picked that. That is why I didn't go back to the college too.

Working with clay means being in contact with the four elements. Clay is earth. It need be watered all time, so we have to work close to the water. Then, it has to be dried by the air, and then burned by fire. Don't ask me about the fifth element! Well, you can ask: the fifth element is the creation. Without it we don't do anything.

When that room collapsed and my miniatures were distroyed, I was so mad that I wanted go to the opposite direction and be as far as possible from all of this. That is why I took some technical courses and quickly I was working with computers. But that was not my deal. A year later I was bored.

My parents wanted me to go back to college. They were glad to help me babysitting my kids. Then, I thought it would be better to study arts instead of journalism. My dad said that arts could be a problem to get a job if I needed. I should study architecture.

So, I did. I went to the college to study architeture during 5 very long years. My dad was a builder and I had other architects in the family, as my uncles and cousin. It would be easy to get a job.

I enjoyed the college, but it wasn't easy for me. Many times I had to have my kids with me in the classroom because my parents couldn't be with them. It sounded as I would have a nice career ahead.

But I was wrong! When I was looking for work I got a job in a publishing house. I had to make some illustrations and visual programming to books and magazines. It seemed perfect. However, eventually they needed people writing pages to the magazines. I ended up writing some pages and soon they only wanted me WRITING!!!

This is how I spent the next 20 years writing to magazines (being an architect!).


PS.: Dear readers, I didn't stop making my miniatures. Next you will see how I did everything at the same time.

2 comentários:

Unknown disse...

Sounds about right. You write very intriguing. When I'm sad lately I often found myself reading your blog. Seems I find something to calm me down. Thanks.

Leila Franca disse...

Hey, only now I saw your comment. Lastly I am missing time to write this blog. I am happy because my writing somehow is making you to feel better. Please, keep coming.

Postar um comentário